Sunday, November 18, 2012

The most disturbing shot of a Tufted Titmouse you have ever seen


Thank you, auto-focus, for completely blurring the Black-capped Chickadee I was attempting to photograph. Were you trying to send me a message? Were you trying to warn me of the true demonic intent of the chickadee's Tufted Titmouse ally? The bird looks as though it is planning - and capable of - world domination.

I only noticed this shot when I downloaded pics from my camera today hoping that I would have got a lovely one of the Red-throated Loon I saw at the Connecticut Audubon's Coastal Center at Milford Point this afternoon.


But I had only photos that frustratingly could never quite capture the beauty of the bird or the late afternoon autumn light.

The whole idea was to find a stunning image because today I didn't have much time for writing. I spent most of it down at the Coastal Center learning about the impact of two amazing people, Noble Proctor (astonishing naturalist, professor, author) and Helen Hays (force of nature, chairwoman of the Great Gull Island Project). A celebration was held for them, and it was beautiful to see how they had changed the lives of everyone they have taught and inspired, from ages 17 to 100. One of the things I love about the birding community is the tradition of mentoring and of having respect for those who have so much to teach us about the natural world.

The sun set over the marsh seemed especially vivid in their honor . . .









2 comments:

  1. Your photo has reminded me never to turn my back on even the smallest bird. World domination . . . that's only the half of it.

    Miss you both. Hope you can make it to No Cal some day soon.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh, I will be keeping my eye on those titmice when I approach the feeder! I would so love to come to No Cal one day. Are you guys over this way at all for the holiday season? Frank sends his love.

    ReplyDelete